Saturday, December 17, 2011

I am horrendously American.

Earlier today, I was browsing the Next Gen Fanatics Harry Potter forum and came across "The Accent Challenge." The Accent Challenge (although its title is basically self-explanatory) is a challenge where you say a list of words relating to the world of Harry Potter and answer some questions regarding next-gen characters/NGF forum. My inner stalker could not resist this scintillating opportunity to hear well-known fanficers vocalize words, and I proceeded to spend the next thirty minutes listening to various entries. And with each entry I heard, I was hit with a startling realization.

I am horribly American.

I do not have a posh English accent, nor a cute Scottish "um." My accent, if I even have one, is boring, extraordinary, and not unlike a four year old's.

 It's depressing.

I became more depressed when I realized I'd been mispronouncing some Next Gen characters' names for four years. My small and self-centered American mind can not wrap around French pronunciations.

For example,

Victoire. Daughter of Fleur and Bill Weasley

Pronounced: Vic TWAH...r. I can't do a French accent for the life of me.

My pronunciation: Vic-TOR-ie

*face palm*

Also, Louis. LOO-IE. Not Lew-is.
*face palm-head desk combo*

I need a few seconds to process this.

No comments:

Post a Comment